Friday, January 15, 2010

The Beginning

Today is exactly six months from the day that I woke up with unusual discomfort in my lower abdomen, the first hint of this crazy time of cancer and chemo and healing.   So I guess it's appropriate that this should be my last regular post, though I do have more compelling reasons for bowing out of the blogosphere.  Besides successfully getting rid of Grazelda, my demonic muse, starting this coming week I'll be far too busy taking pre-requisite courses for nursing school. 

"Margaret," you ask (and I know you will, because everyone does), "Has this whole Cancer Experience influenced you choice to make this career move?

Why yes, like pretty much everything else in my life, my future plans have been influenced by cancer.  I'd been thinking about going into medicine in some capacity before I got sick, but I have definitely gotten a closer look at the field and its challenges and rewards and possibilities.


Medical technology of the past fifty years saved my life and has given me back a life of the same (or greater) quality with a similar life expectancy than before Grazelda.  Even Margaret the Luddite can get behind those results. 

I had some fantastic care from doctors and nurses who had a vast amount of knowledge that I needed them to have, the communication ability to share it with me, and the technical skills to coax my body back to health.  Especially Shirley, my chemotherapy nurse (have I mentioned how cool she is?).

I want to help people, I want to work with my hands, and I'm going to study my tail off to become the best nurse I can.  I'll still be working at Community Home Repair full time, so it's going to be a very, very full year.  But I don't have cancer anymore, so I have to do something with my time! 

That is also to say, Thank You, dear reader, for coming along with me on this journey, being the statistics that boost my spirits, the comments that make me smile, and people who are informed about my life without me having to recount the gory details over and over again.  I have never felt alone. 


I'll post medical results as they come, but we're hoping for really mundane and no more than monthly.  So for now, I bid you good health, good friends, and as much hair as your heart desires. 

5 comments:

  1. Margaret, you will be an amazing nurse! We're so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are doing so well, Margaret and I am fully behind you on your new direction! In the meantime, I hope to see you at the CHRPA dinner and give you a very big squeeze. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Margaret! I finally have regular personal internet access again and was able to get "catch up" with how you are doing a bit. =) Just in case you couldn't understand my voice mail message (I am a bit of a spaz and on the phone can get my speech going at a fairly rapid rate); we LOVE House of Doc. I can't count how many times I've listened to it now, and my husband brought it in so that his students could listen to it. They all wanted to learn "Milk and Cookies." Too fun!!! THANK YOU!! (Sorry, lot of exclamation points. Hee hee) We have February 6th on the calander for dancing! You'll be there I hope. Well, will not share the rest of my thoughts about your card...will save that for a "real" card which will be coming to you soon. It was so good to see you a few weeks ago! I'm looking forward to how hearing about school. I hope the first few weeks have been good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Margaret! Don't know if you'll get this as it doesn't look like you've been on for a week or so. Hope school is going very well. =) I'm sorry we missed dancing tonight. My husband has developed some inflammation to nerves in his foot and he's having quite a bit of pain...so we're forgoing dancing for now. Hope you had a good evening dancing!

    ReplyDelete