Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

I'm looking forward to 2010, but like everyone else today I am also looking back at 2009. 

A number of people have expressed their wish that my new year will be "better" than the one past.  Yes, I would prefer not to have to take any more chemotherapy next year (or ever).  Yes, I don't want to need any more major surgery, abdominal CT scans, or 3am hospital runs.  Yes, I would like some better luck.  Those are not things I would ever choose. 

But 2009 was amazing; the year was intense, surprising, emotional, and revelatory.  And now at the end of it, I find I love my life even more than before.  I love my self, my body, my family, my friends, and the community here in Tucson and across the world more wholly than I did this time last year.  For me, 2009 was full of the goodness of people.  Memories of the physical agony fade quickly, but those of kindness - simple, creative, big, and small remain vivid.  Perhaps I should get a job at Hallmark because these sanguine cliches are how I've been feeling lately. 

So, Happy New Year to you and to yours.  May it be full of good health, interesting people, and compassion in word and deed. 


Medical Update: I feel great.  I had a scheduled CT scan on Monday (routine post-chemo baseline) and will get the results later this month.  The barium I had to drink before the scan tasted like water.  It was delicious.  Why did I have to drink the nasty baby lotion the first time?! 
Also.  While my hair is not yeat thick and luscious, I no longer qualify as bald.  A picture is forthcoming.
And I biked to work yesterday.  [insert your favorite Victorious Noise Of Strength here] 

1 comment:

  1. I hope you experience the same hope, joy and kindness in a time of (hopefully) much less stress. :) Glad to hear you're doing well. And congrats on biking to work!! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete