Sunday, September 13, 2009

My Big Bad Bald Self

Today in the shower, maybe even while I was washing my scalp (ironically with Wonder Waves shampoo), I had the following thought:
"How am I going to do my hair today?"
And then I remembered that right now, that is not a concern of mine. So I threw on my rainbow-tie-dyed-with-sparkles scarf and went out.

No, I haven't gone out in public without a headcovering yet, but why would I when I have so many great scarf options?! However, it is becoming more and more probable that I really may forget one day, and I don't think it would be so bad. I have been increasingly happy and comfortable as a mostly-bald woman. I happen to think I have a nice-looking head. Which is fortunate, as I suffer from an inability to not look at myself in the mirror (narcissism exposed!).

I haven't lost my eyebrows or eyelashes, and I still have a little bit of hair by my sideburns, which is what makes a woman look really bald, even with a hat on. In fact, they sell little self-adhesive sideburns for wearing under hats or scarves.

Anyways, here I am:


And just for comparison . . .

(This picture is really for my Dad's brothers, proving my status as Baldest Member of the Penner Family)

3 comments:

  1. Oh Margaret! You have the most beautifully shaped head! I'm jealous since I know just by feeling around my head, I wouldn't look good. But you my dear look fabulous!

    Bald is beautiful!

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret, I'm glad you have the courage to thinking about going bald (in public), and am wayyy glad you beat your dad at baldness. In my book, it's very important to win competitions. This one is your's although your dad is definitely working on it.
    I went to a 2-week conference this summer with a woman who was bald the whole time. I didn't ask her but I think it was either chemo or some disease that would keep her from having hair, as opposed to a fashion statement. But she didn't seem the least bit fazed. Of course, we were from umpteen cultures of the earth, so she probably felt like she fit right in with one of those many cultural corners. Never-the-less, I admired her for seeming so content with herself. And I admire you for heading in that direction too ... I hope you *forget* one day soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maragret:
    Now you can go "head to head" (sorry) with Rusty.
    Joan and I both enjoy reading the blog. You have a gift. You have exposed yourself with both grace and wit.
    We think of you often and keep you in our prayers.
    Wally

    ReplyDelete