Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Perils of Feeling Good

The Event in the past few days was a lovely overnight at a friend's cabin in the mountains. For those of you not in Tucson, the Mountains are extremely important during summer (which lasts from March to November), in order to escape not only the concrete city bustle, but also the brutal heat. I spent the first 4 hours in the mountains napping in a hammock. That's right: four glorious hours of sleep in the afternoon, followed by a full ten-hour night. I guess I'd been falling behind on my rest, but in any case it felt amazing, and gave me lots of energy for taking walks in the pine trees by the streams.

Yesterday, it happened. I wouldn't say I forgot that I have cancer, nor that I have to go in for the dreaded 5-day chemo week next week. But between the refreshment of being up in the mountains, the excitement of having a friend in town, and the general busy-ness of the day spent feeling great, I did forget that I was supposed to go into the lab for a blood draw. I realized this at 5:15, 45 minutes after the lab closed on Friday afternoon. And this isn't just the blood draw to make sure my blood thinner levels are good, this is also the 3-vial draw to check my blood cell counts and my kidney functions that they need to ensure I'm healthy enough to be kicked in the bum again with the chemo.
So I worried about it a little bit, eventually found that I could go in on Saturday (today), and convinced myself that it would be okay. I felt guilty enough, but I went in this morning and got my blood drawn unceremoniously.

My sister comes in today, hopefully to take the edge off next week's treatment, or at least bring me 7Up when I need it and make sure I get to my blood draws in time.

2 comments:

  1. Margaret, these are good kinds of problems to have ... good to forget.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! Sorry about making you forget your lab appointment! Ok, only kind of sorry. Anyway, give my best to Allison, and ask Shirley if you actually still have cancer. Kashmir says Hi, too. I'll call tomorrow- got welding tonight! Kisses, Meghan

    ReplyDelete