Saturday, September 12, 2009

Superficial Thrombophlebitis

. . . looks like this:


That thing that is circled in blue ink pen on my forearm is a blood clot (thrombosis) that either migrated or grew backwards from my PICC line clot. When you have a blood clot, it just sits there in your veins (that's the -phleb- part). Blocking blood flow can cause pain and swelling, and it can even get inflamed (-itis).

For the past few weeks I've had this spot on my arm where I can feel a very well-defined vein. My doctor said that it was a blood clot and nothing to worry about. I'm already on drugs to take take care of my Hypercoagulating tendencies, and my arm is a great (=relatively safe) place for a clot to hang out. But yesterday I woke up and it was worse. It hurt (a little) to straighten my arm. It was (a little) redder, and (a little) visibly swollen. So after some re-arranging of schedules to get my Dad to the airport and me to the doctor's simultaneously (Thank you Scott and Jeanne!!) I had the quickest doctor visit yet: He drew the dotted line around it and told me to call if it got a lot bigger or redder or more swollen, and I'd go on antibiotics just to make sure it doesn't get infected.

In the middle of his explanation, to make sure I was following him, Dr. Hallum asked me to recall why I was prone to blood clots, "Because I have cancer!" was my prompt, and correct, answer. It felt a little bit like I was in Sunday School or children's story, where "Jesus!" is always the right answer, or at least is never wrong: All these random side effects and symptoms are because of cancer or chemo (which is because of cancer). Otherwise, underneath all of that, I'm healthy!

And probably going contra dancing tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Thrombocyte: also known as platelets. Responsible for clotting with help of vitamin K and 13 other clotting factors.

    Margaret: also known as Meg.
    Responsible for the exorcism of electrical daemons with help of a keen wit and 13 really cool tools.

    ReplyDelete