Tuesday, September 8, 2009

wups

Today I'm feeling pretty good. Yesterday I felt pretty good. I could complain (and I still might complain) about how chemo has turned my hitherto iron-clad digestive system into a needy, sensitive, and irritable part of me. But that's mostly all that feels wrong.

Today's medical news is that my PTINR=1.0 Essentially that means that my blood is too thick now, pointing to Friday's reading of "ridiculously too thin" being false, probably due to it being drawn through my IV. Wups. So I'm back up on my Coumadin doses and will test again on Friday.

As expected, my doctor called me today to give me this news, and it made me think again, as I have several times in the past week, how much I really like my doctors. One would imagine that after a person performs major surgery on you, hands you a cancer diagnosis, and a 3-month chemo regimen to get through (all in the first week of knowing him), that you'd have some negative associations with this person, at least a little bit of dread or fear of seeing them. But I find it's basically opposite. Between excellent communication, being very available, competent, optimistic, friendly, and compassionate, when my doctor walks into the room I smile and usually feel just a little bit better. I don't know that I could ask for better people to steer me through this than Dr. Hank Hallum and Dr. Jennifer Hallum. And my nurses Shirley and Kerry are the same: The good part about the 5-day weeks is that I get to see them for a few hours every day. If you ever have gynecological cancer in Tucson, these are the folks to look up.

Tomorrow is Bonus Bleomycin Wednesday! I'm hoping for a good IV and no nausea.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you have such good doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your doctors and nurses are so wonderful. A lot of times it's a shot in the dark, with the odds out of your favor. But it makes me happy that yours are so good. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret, I'm so glad you're feeling relatively well. And who knows, your good relationship with your doctors could partly be because you're such an up-beat person yourself.

    BTW, I have no plans to come down with gyn cancer in Tucson, but thanks anyways :)

    ReplyDelete