Friday, September 25, 2009

Seven Sugary Thoughts

My port's in! I now have a bump under my skin on the right side of my chest about the shape of a Mentos, and just a little bit bigger. The hospital run went well this morning. Some observations:

1) While the hospital gown was the least flattering I've worn, it had this brilliant feature of a special full frontal pouch with vacuum-like hook-up that they blew warm air into to keep me comfy while waiting for surgery and while in recovery. It's like having my own personal floor register. Someone should market pajama-bed systems like this.

2) They didn't put me all the way out, so while I did take a chemical-induced nap during part of the procedure, I remember when we got into the operating room being asked what kind of music I like. The doctors and nurses proceeded to rock out to some bluegrass tunes while getting me all ready.

3) Waking up from not-being-all-the-way-out was a lot easier and faster than from general anesthesia. I was able to carry on continuous, lucid conversation with my recovery room nurse (who, it turns out, plays fiddle), feed myself ice chips, and argue with my sister about directions on the way home (we were both right, but she might have been a little bit more right).

4) Getting ready for surgery, everyone looks a little bit alien, in sea green "pajamas," face masks - and hair coverings! For once, I was in the majority with my covered head, and my pink hat was rivaled in cuteness only by my surgeon's U of A print surgical cap.

5) I took a number of very long naps when I got home, but I've been up for almost 5 consecutive hours now, and I feel fine - my arm and chest are just a little achy.

6) No bandaids, no stitches. How did they close me up this time? Superglue!

7) Here's a picture. If you're easily grossed out, don't look, but I don't think it's that bad.




Chemo should be a breeze next week with my new port! Oh wait, it's just getting the chemo into me that will be easier. Everything else (tired ick, stomach ick, intestinal ick, fluid retention, etc. etc. etc.) will be just as crummy/challenging. I still have half of this treatment left to go, but I will be getting poked a lot less.

3 comments:

  1. Personally,
    I find it a little weird that they cool hospitals in Tuscon so much that they need individual patient warmers, but whatever.

    Sorry about the saltlessness, that sounds unfun.
    Luckily, you're surrounded by sweet people.
    SVS

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK Margaret, since I don't see any holes in your skin, I'm trying to figure out how they're going to get IVs in & out of your port

    Rachel, I don't know you, but I agree 1000%. Grew up in warm southern Africa & never have figured out why buildings had to be so cool in the summer & warm in the winter.

    Toodles to everyone & warm wishes for your chemo week, Margaret

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm usually a proponent of energy conservation, too. Over-air-conditioned offices really irritate me. However, air conditioning in a hospital in Tucson seems like a prudent use of resources to me. Not only is it absolutely miserable to lay in bed all day in a too-hot hospital room (I've done it, I know), but I would also point out that pre-surgery patients are essentially naked and thus can use that little extra help in the heating department.

    ReplyDelete