Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Rug

This is the rug my mother made.

The very large, very thick, every stitch hand-crocheted out of hand-cut strips out of hand-picked Tucson thrift store t-shirts. 

My mom flew back to Ohio yesterday, after her third trip to Tucson in three months, and I think that this rug (which took every bit as much work as it seems to have) was among the least of her labors while she was here.  Taking care of me, cooking, cleaning, moving, fetching, reading aloud, calling my friends, driving me to chemo, waking up with me in the middle of the night, keeping me as comfortable as she could.

Thanks for the rug, Mom.

3 comments:

  1. I am resting in your words about your mom today. You have captured her essence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret & Pat, the rug is beautiful, in actuality & in spirit

    Margaret, you go girl not bothering to do anything you don't need to do like wrap a turban or put on mascara ... love the minimalist in you.

    And by the way, how do you eat a frozen banana? have a couple in my refrigerator. Maybe I just need to thaw one slightly & then start eating it.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must be voicing the obvious regarding the rug and you - so womb-like.

    ReplyDelete