Monday, October 5, 2009

the Monday After

Today, the Monday after a Bad Week is the turn-around day, the day I can usually stop thinking "ugggh, this sucks," and start thinking, "hmmm, maybe I'll be a 'normal' independent young adult again someday . . . I should fix my bike." I've learned when to expect the crud to retreat, and have become better at naming, describing, joking, and making utterly pathetic noises about it, all of which helps, but doesn't change the fact that the crud still really sucks. And so today I am, again, very happy to be feeling pretty durn chipper. Hooray!

As a sign of my eventually being able to return to my normal life, this morning on my very own two feet, I walked to my blood test. And then home again. Let me reframe that: I went to a medical appointment, without consuming fossil fuel. This is amazingly refreshing to me, as Life Before Cancer for Margaret was also Life Without A Car. I love biking, walking, and generally not driving wherever it is I have to go. Obviously I understand the merits and dazzling convenience of automotive transportation; no fear, I won't be biking the 24 miles to chemo and back anytime soon, nor will this turn into some didactic Greenpeace Hippie Blog. But today going somewhere meaningful, without getting in the car, made me feel that much healthier and on the road to wellness.

Also: Tucson is officially gorgeous right now, which means that invalids like me can venture out-of-doors without risk of heatstroke. So this evening, I walked another couple miles to the library and back.

What I really like: limeades.
What doesn't really spark my interest: chocolate

P.S. re: previous post. Yes, everything came out okay.

3 comments:

  1. I heard you went on a W-A-L-K...
    I like doing that too!

    love,
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Margaret - Just wanted you to know I am following your blog - and I think you are awesome! (Glad everything came out okay!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Margaret! Finally getting onto the computer and "updating." =) I'm very glad you're feeling better. I always feel horrible that I have a part in making you feel so awful, even if it is killing Grazelda! =) Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete