Thursday, October 15, 2009

Bald as a ping-pong ball

Today it happened. I walked out of the house to go to the store and totally forgot a hat or scarf. I probably wouldn't even have noticed before I got out of the driveway if my mother hadn't pointed it out. And something about it being dark or evening or today made me really just not want to go back for a headcovering. So I went to the store bald.

And it was really anti-climatic.

I didn't get arrested or stared at. No one came up to me to tell their cancer story or ask me about mine. It probably helped that I went to the pharmacy and stood in line with all the other sick-o's, so that was perhaps a more "acceptable" place to have alopecia.

I would note that the breeze feels pretty nice on my scalp.

Like I said. It was really anti-climatic.


Lest this post be the same, here's the sketch from Free to Be You And Me that's been going through my head since I lost my hair. It's the line "bald as a ping-pong ball," even though I'm not quite that bald:

2 comments:

  1. YES! Score a major point for women here! We are beautiful in all our "glory". Good for you! BTW, have you seen the movie "Grey Gardens"? True story of the Beale mother and daughter, cousins of Jackie O who were exceedingly eccentric and possibly quite mad by others' standards. Daughter suffered from aleopicia and went to creative lengths to deal with it. Drew Barrymore plays the daughter in a stunning performance. There is also a documentary with the actual people. Try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Free to be you and me!!!! Yay!

    Good karma headed your way from all the corners of Bethel's campus.

    Toby

    ReplyDelete