Sunday, October 4, 2009

Lazy Sunday

It was a slow-moving kind of Sunday here. I stayed in bed for a while, lazed around with my sister, read some, talked on the phone some . .

Okay, I'm just gonna come out and say it, because I've been concentrating on it so hard for the past 3 days: I can't poo, and it really sucks. Constipation is a common side effect of chemotherapy, and even one I've grown to expect at this point in my cycle. But this time around is worse. I've sat and done my yoga-to-loosen-stools (even some improvised Hunker Down Asana), I've eaten prunes and prune juice, drunk my fluids, gone on long walks to get things going, taken three different, progressively potent moving agents with regularity (har! har!), and still, it's a slow-moving kind of Sunday.

Other than that I've decided that my lymph nodes have been sore. I haven't heard anything to indicate that this is a "real" side effect, but it's been a consistent experience for me at the end of my 5-day week: When I touch anywhere on my upper body with any sort of pressure, it hurts, like I'm bruised all over. The worst of it is in my neck and armpits, and my throat hurts to swallow, like I'm getting strep (but I'm not). It's getting better, and should be totally gone in a couple days, but it's the sort of thing that makes it hurt to get dressed or roll over. It's the sort of thing that makes me think, "Oh, this is what it must feel like to have cancer." And if I only have to feel like I have cancer for 5 days out of a 3-week cycle, I'll take it.

Well, I have a blood test tomorrow morning for my PTINR, so I'd better go and study.

2 comments:

  1. I have not been through cancer, but all three of my boys are constipated on a regular basis...I am so sorry you are feeling poorly-that really does affect everything when you can't...you know!
    I don't have the magic cure-that's why all three of my guys have their issues. They eat a TON of fiber, fruit, take things to help...so I do know what you mean.
    I hope it all works out ok-literally! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lymph nodes are such wonderful little filtration plants, aren't they? No wonder they hurt. I'm sure they are working overtime to clear out your system, good for them: kiss, kiss. But they do like to be recognized every so often, so they puff up with "pride". :-)

    ReplyDelete