Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Great Anti-K Vegetable List

I love vegatables.  Especially green ones.  Especially spinach, brocolli, mustard greens, beet greens, asparagus, brussel sprouts, and all the beautiful greens that are in season in Tucson in winter.  (It's winter in Tucson now - high today was 59!!!)  I'm not allowed to eat any of these things because they have lots of Vitamin K, which would work against my bloodthinner.  This is nothing new, but it remains very frustrating to me.  You have no idea how delicious a big green salad sounds until you haven't been permitted greens in months, and your first hope of one lies months away. 

And my eating habits have suffered.  It seems so stupid and backward that getting cancer encourages - and sometimes even forces - me to eat less healthfully.  And then those irritating books about cancer that try extra hard to encourage people to eat their veggies to build up their immune system and help their body to combat cancer say things like,  "Broccoli tastes much better when you think how it will help you get well."  Yeah, broccoli tasted pretty dandy to me too, when I was allowed to eat it!  I am trying my best to not become bitter, but it's hard work. 


So, yesterday, Miriam and I sat down with a cookbook and wrote a list of vegetables with low-to-moderate Vitamin K levels so I could have a list of positive things to look at.  (And I just love lists, of course).
So here it is:
 

The Great Anti-K Vegetable List
carrots
celery
corn
cucumber (peeled)
eggplant
green beans
mushrooms
onions
parsnip (what do you do with parsnips?)
green pepper
red pepper
potato
pumpkin
summer squash
winter squash
sweet potato
tomato

We had sweet potato black bean burritos for supper tonight and they were very good.  I think I can deal with this list for a few more months, but boy howdy will there be a Great Green Party when I get off my rat poison!

4 comments:

  1. Pureed Roasted Parsnips

    (with thanks to simplyrecipies.com)

    2 lbs parsnips, peeled with stringy cores removed
    3 Tbsp butter, melted
    1 1/2 cup water
    1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
    salt & pepper to taste

    1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Peel parsnips, make a cut off the top of the fat end of each parsnip. This will show you the extent of the inner core. Cut around the core when peeling.

    2. Place chopped parsnips in a medium sized bowl, add th emelted butter, and stir to coat. Lay out the parsnips on a roasting pan in a single layer. Roast int he oven for 20 to 25 minutes, at 400 F, until lightly golden, turning the parsnips once half-way through the cooking.

    3. Put cooked parsnips into a blender or food processor. Add 1 1/2 cups water (note- a little olive oil is nice too...), and pulse until pureed to the desired consistency. Add more water if necessary. Add nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm assuming you got the blackbean sweet potato burritos from simply in season. There is also a good sweet potato quesadilla recipie in there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care for parsnips just on their own, but roasted with potatoes they are ok. Grandma would say parsnip soup if she could comment!

    love,
    Your Sister

    p.s. You don't really have to eat parsnips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, what about cabbage? that's off? that would be a real problem for me, as it's my backup to anything & everything. I would be ok with your list though & could definitely pig out on sweet potatos. Take care for however many more months you have to eat this way.

    Knock 'em out with your Halloween costume!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete