Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cancer and . . . Accordion!!!


This morning, at 7:30 a.m. a friend of mine knocked on my door with a very special delivery: An Atlas 12-Bass. I just about did a jig I was so excited! In fact, I was late for work because I got distracted trying it out.

Okay, so maybe I should back up:
1. Accordions are awesome.
2. I have a little bit of time these days for sitting around feeling somewhere between icky and moderate, craving distraction.
3. When you have cancer, people - friends, and even strangers - do really nice things for you. (other cancer perks are few and far between. Like not flossing.)

Add those things up, and my friend Jennifer arranged for the Accordion Club of Tucson to lend me a beginner's instrument (very small so that my chemo-laden arms don't tire unnecessarily) and simple instruction booklet. All this, just in exchange for giving a recital at one of their meetings!! I've been giddy about it all day. I don't know that I have words to express my pleasure in the folky harmonies coming from the bellows . . .

So for now, I'll say a big THANK YOU (and even link) to the good people at Accordion Club of Tucson for granting me this wish. All that's left now is to practice.

P.S. I feel great right now and have all day (with the exception of the start of my first mouth sore - oh no!), but tomorrow is Bonus Bleomycin Wednesday. At least it should be quick.

2 comments:

  1. Just learning that such a thing as an accordion club exists, let alone where you are, just made my day. What a way to start a long day! Love ya. alan stucky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Meg, you never cease to surprise me. That is awesome. Happy bellowing! Love, Kristi

    ReplyDelete