Monday, October 26, 2009

Further Adventures Without Hair

It happened again today: I walked out of the house without a headcovering of any kind.  I went back for it when Miriam patted me on the head to remind me, but I continued to almost-forget-it in the car every time we got out.  Tah Dah!  I've reached the point where I'm tired of wearing a headcovering. 

Part of it is physical - between chemotherapy and oopherectomy (your word of the day meaning "a surgical procedure to remove one ovary") my hormones are off enough to give me hot flashes.  The hair on your head is simply awesome breathable, flexible, portable insulation, and I miss its utter functionality.  My head is cold unless I get a hot flash, and then I need to not have fabric or yarn or anything up there and in very short order, too. 

But the other part of it comes down to Margaret the Minimalist winning out over Margaret the Lover of Textiles And Mirrors.  I have a sweet collection of adornments for my head that I can don, wrap, or tie with skill and look really good.  But it's one more thing to do before I leave the house.  If I'm not going to put on mascara, do you really think I want to take time to wrap a turban? 



Today the power in my duplex went out.  I went outside to investigate, and the meter was totally fried.  So I called the power company, and they (eventually) sent someone out, after we'd cooked a lovely candlelit supper.  I went to talk to the electrician and definitely didn't put on a hat.  Not only do I think I look tougher without hair (and I enjoy looking tough around other tradespeople), but it's my house:  I'm not going to dress up for some repair person to come fix my meter! 

So here I've arrived at the place that many of you probably knew I would end up all along.  I'll still wear headcoverings in public in general.  (As one of my inspirational cancer books says, "When you walk into a room, baldness announces your illness even before your name," and I don't want to be 'that chick with cancer').  But I am more and more consistently bald around those who know me. 

Medical Report: My blood still can't decide how thick it wants to be.  Very irritating.  I still can't eat green veggies.  Even more irritating.   The "bad weekend" after the "bad week" is over.  My throat's better, my bloating's down, and I have energy again.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, clam pasta by candlelight!!!

    love,
    Your Sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I didn't make it last night. Tucson is a little farther than I thought it would be. Someone should tell Rand McNally that Tucson and South Bend are much more than ten inches apart.

    ReplyDelete