Monday, September 28, 2009

Bloodsuckers!

I had a pretty good day in the chemo room. I'm a huge fan of my port. Shirley just sprayed me with some liquid nitrogen plus numbing agent, and I didn't even feel when the needle went in. It took all of 3 minutes to get hooked up. There was no positional discomfort, no looking at my arm, wondering if it's beginning to start burning just a little bit, and I could use both of my hands, happily knit away, and feel obviously justified in asking the woman next to me about the sweater she was crocheting. And they say the first time is the worst time!

She also had to do a blood draw, which generally can be done through my port, but if it's for my blood thickness it has to be done from a fresh stick. [Pause in writing while Margaret's Coumadin alarm goes off - how appropriate! - and she downs her rat poison] My blood's too thick again, having gotten all messed up when I went off it for surgery last Friday, so of course this is the blood test I have to have most often. But a poke for a blood draw is soooo much easier than starting a good IV.

Chemo still knocks the snot out of me. Well, it's only Monday, so it's just starting to dribble out (strictly in a figurative sense. I'm not allowed to get colds while on chemo, and congestion is one of the few bodily dysfunctions that's not a common side effect for any of the drugs I'm on), but again it strikes me as bizarre to sit in a comfy, reclining chair, knitting or reading or snoozing for 5 hours, and have my limbs feel shaky and tired and weak when I get up. This week is not going to be too fun.

So, I come home, and go straight to bed for my afternoon rest. But do I sleep? No (incidentally, neither do vampires, ever). The problem is not insomnia or crazy thoughts. Instead, I'm addicted to teenage vampire romance novels in the form of the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. It's not something I'm proud of, but it has made a too-perfect distraction the past couple weeks and keeps me from sleeping when I all-too-often give into temptation to read when I lay down for a nap or for night. At least I'm resting! It also fills my mind with thoughts about vampires - the friendly, beautiful, sparkly-in-the-sun variety my friend Meghan calls "Glam"-pires. It's a bizarre situation, as I have to think about my own blood in real life and the people who suck it out of my veins (don't worry, Shirley is a very human, highly skilled infusion nurse, most definitely not a vampire) on a very regular basis. I promise this won't turn into a blog about Twilight; I started the last book today, so my obsession will conclude shortly. But I thought I should confess whence my thoughts have been straying recently.

8 comments:

  1. Kristin got obsessed with with Twilight as well. So much so that she has jumped over to twilighted.com to read fan fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had known, you hadn't down Twilight yet, I would have suggested it a month ago. It is a wonderful, wonderful escape hole to fall into. It might amuse you to know that Edward Cullen was photoshopped into last year's ap physics photo.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering-- I saw a few of the series on your GoodReads list and was wondering what you thought of them. I've been skeptical, but might have to give into the temptation if you say they're good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true: cancer is a great time to read the Twilight series. There's nothing expected of you except to show up to chemo and take your meds. I don't recommend reading it when you have a lot to do, like work, cooking, cleaning, talking to anybody, etc. Fortunately, they read really fast.

    Coats-Haan, that's awesome that Edward Cullen made it into the AP physics photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margaret...It's ok you have been sucked (forgive the pun) into the Twilight vortex because I myself have been victim to the books. They were addictive to say the least. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hee hee. I am embarrassed to say I have been hooked for a year. Those books are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, have read the Twilight series. To feed on the "addiction" a little bit more, if you go to Stephanie Myer's site there is a partial script for Midnight Sun. Midnight Sun is Twilight written from Edward's perspective. She never finished, for reasons you can read on her website, but it still is worth the read. It is funny to be able to know what Edward is thinking, especially in biology class.

    ReplyDelete