Saturday, September 5, 2009

Brought to You By The Letter K

Today I am very tired, my throat hurts, my body aches, and while I know I need to drink lots of fluids, finding fluids that don't taste gross is becoming a challenge.

Here's the good news: no nausea.

Here's the bleary health update from Grazelda-Ville (which might be too medical for some tastes. Feel free to ignore!):

Yesterday I went in for therapy feeling "punk-ish," as is to be expected on day 5. My rapid weight-gain had led me to have some weirdness by breathing. There's no problem with fluid around my lungs or anything; I guess when your body changes shape so quickly things just shift a little. But the kind folks at chemo really do their best to make life as comfortable as possible (and while it's hard to not feel sarcastic typing this, sitting here feeling awful, it really is true that they are very kind and do everything in their power to make the yuck bearable), and as the breathing thing was hurting a little when I lay down, they gave me some extra diuretics in my IV and sent me home with a prescription for more, and advice to bump up my nutritional potassium intake as much as I could. Well, I shed enough weight (and bulk - I can see my wrists, ankles, etc.) overnight to make me comfy enough without the extra help loosing fluids, but I'm still cranking up the potassium and the fluids to give my kidneys a break.

Meanwhile, yesterday, in the midst of investigating my breathing, since I still have those 7 or so blood clots hanging out in my lungs, they ran a test to check my blood thin-ness and it came back not just slightly too thin, but way out in ridiculously too thin land (PTINR=4.1 if that means anything to you). So, I'm off of my blood thinner for a couple days, have stopped shaving my legs (ha!), and go back for labs on Tuesday. And what this means for my Vitamin K intake? Well, all sources say the important thing is to stay consistent, so I'm still laying low on the green & leafy.

No comments:

Post a Comment