Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Headcoverings

A few days ago I noticed that I could pull out the little hairs on my legs painlessly. Just today it got really easy to do this to my head:


I guess it's just a matter of days till it's all gone and I have to deal with being bald. I thought about going with a wig, and even tried some on . . .




But really, if you know me well, you know I've had a "thing" for headcoverings for a long time, so I think that headscarves and hats will serve me well enough. I've been collecting and currently have an entire drawer devoted to scarves of various sizes and fabrics. Here are some favorites:


This one is from a fellow (less closeted) headcovering enthusiast at church.


One of my Mom's silk scarves from China.


My aunt made this one (and I have a dress to match!). It also models my current favorite way to tie a scarf, but it takes a 36" square piece of cloth.



This is my only hat, knit just for me by a guy in my sewing circle. His daughters picked out the fabulously (and soft) pink yarn, and I look forward to wearing this when I don't feel like having a bun at the back of my neck.

Tomorrow is Bonus Bleomycin Wednesday, so I'm hoping for a good IV, and the right kind of drugs to keep the nausea beast at bay.

8 comments:

  1. You've always looked good in pink ;)
    -alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been following along Margaret...just wanted to actually post a comment. I know we haven't seen each other since high school (seems like DECADES), but I am thinking of you often. I must say, the short hair/head scarves do look good on you. Be well. - Lisa Hilliard

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know, the bald wig is kinda nice.
    SVS

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my sister's hair came out during chemo, she went outside and "gave" it to the birds so they could use it for nesting material.

    The variety of headcoverings is great--and the diversity of providers makes them even more unique. Stan and I are thinking of you often.
    Myrna Bartel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Myrna's comment about offering the hair to the birds. I was relieved to see the current pictures. You look great, and the knots in the headresses are lovely.

    I'm amazed that you went to work. You are a trooper.

    Be well.

    blessings, happy thoughts, and prayers,
    greta

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite is the blue and white striped one your aunt made. So nice, 36" square, huh......interesting...verrry interesting.

    pljh

    welda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margaret, you look beautiful in all your different head coverings ... it's great that you're trying them all out in advance & practicing your stylish looks. And as someone else said, very noble & courageous of you to make a showing at work this week.

    There's something else i wanted to comment on from a previous post, but true to form, i don't remember what it was or where i saw it ... if & when I find it, i'll attach a note to an older post.

    Best of thoughts for tomorrow.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite is the purple wig, but you look very hip in all of them!

    con amor,
    heidi

    ReplyDelete