Monday, August 24, 2009

How Margaret Got a Prayer Shawl



The Mennonite community I'm part of here in Tucson is Shalom Mennonite Fellowship. It's a small, vibrant, spunky group that does a lot of good work and has a lot of fun together, too, often times on Sunday mornings. Shalom of Tucson has a sister church, Teusaquillo, in Bogota, Columbia, with whom we exchange visits at least yearly and stay in communication through the relationships that have developed. When I first started attending Shalom I was impressed with the importance placed on this international relationship between churches, something I'd only read about in theory. We light a candle for our sisters and brothers in Bogota every Sunday, and every Sunday they light one for us.

While I haven't been to Columbia myself, a couple years ago a woman from Teusaquillo named Adaia volunteered a day with Community Home Repair during her visit to Tucson, and was sent out with me. We fumbled through the language barrier to do some electrical jobs together, but I hadn't been in touch with her since. This summer, a family from Shalom was in Bogota visiting when I discovered Grazelda, and they shared the news with the friends that had gathered with for supper. Adaia was among these, and immediately offered to pray for me at the monthly healing service that was to be held that week.

So it came about that yesterday, feeling well enough to go to church, I was anointed with oil and presented with a prayer shawl, originally belonging to Adaia, that had been prayed over by the fifty-some people at the healing service in Bogota as well as the people at Shalom.

While Shalom is unaccustomed to anointings (or maybe it's just me - I had to be told explicitly, "Sit on the box!"), the healing ministry is what comes naturally to our sister church. And regardless of your thoughts and experiences of the "God Paradigm" (thanks, Myron), it is a powerful thing to be so cared for by an entire community I've never met, except one day of electrical work. I am awed and grateful to be connected to so many people, from whom I'm usually separated by geography, culture, and language. And we are all hoping for healing.

Oh yeah, and I'm feeling so good today I went to work. No carrying shingles up the ladder, but I drove myself around and sat in the office working on writing grants. Week three (in the chemo cycle) is a good week.

5 comments:

  1. Margaret-
    Katy (my sister) just sent me the link to your (this) blog. I have just finished reading all of it including the above entry. Several thoughts:
    1. I was sad to hear that you had cancer.
    2. I'm adding myself to the list of people who have you in their thoughts and prayers.
    3. Hold on to what is good, even if it is a handful of earth.
    Hold on to what you believe, even if it is a tree which stands alone.
    Hold on to what you must do, even if it is a long way from here.
    ~Pueblo Verse

    I found this verse in connection to one of my favorite books (Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krouse Rosenthal) and have felt that it should be something that you hold on to to give you courage/encouragement.
    4. Be well.
    5. Thanks for sharing.

    Much Love, Jody Schmidt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the loving web of healing community, healing the body mind spirit psyche soul intellect and the peace

    peace love joy hope

    welda

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a brief moment, someone else will carry your burden. True peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Margaret,
    My name is Carlos Ortiz. I became aware of your blog thru my sister Ines and she thru your aunt Helen (and Eldon) Bargen with who she lived in the early seventies. I am visiting her now in Miami where she resides with her family . I was touched by this particular story because in a way it connects me with you. Aida is also my friend and I recognize that shawl. I belong to the Mennonite church in Bogota, Colombia, and I know of the love and the meaning this shawl conveys . I join them in prayers for blessings and for a fast recovery. I am also friends with Timothy and Luzdy Stucky from your church in Tucson.
    Remember, you are very welcome to visit our church in Bogota and when you do, ask for Carlos Ortiz. They all know me.
    Many Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Thanks for writing, Carlos! I have already been amazed by the connections I have with the churches in Colombia through Helen and Eldon - those were some of my favorite stories of Eldon's as I was growing up - and now I encounter these people in a different way.

    ReplyDelete