Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Pudgy Sausage Fingers

Today was Therapy Day 2. It went much faster than yesterday, as I'd kept my IV in tact overnight and Shirley could run the drips faster, it not being my first day. I still opted for a PICC line to avoid so many pokes, so tomorrow I go first thing very early to the hospital to get that inserted before going in for treatment.

Today I walked into the office much more confidently. I sat down right next to someone, a nice elderly woman named Helen. We didn't talk too much, but it is nice to be sitting next to someone friendly. An hour or so into my drips, a young man walked in, looking to be about my age and sat down in the chair on my other side. His name was Joe, and we exchanged basic pleasantries and book titles - he was reading A Picture of Dorian Gray, which he absolutely loved and I wished that I was on my high literature kick instead of the lighter fare I'd brought for the lack of focus I experience in that room. But soon enough our respective Benadryl drips kicked in and it was most definitely nap time. It was somehow comforting - less lonely? - to not be the only patient in the room under 50.

Afterwards, Mom and I stopped so I could get Milkshake #1: Amaretto Chocolate Chunk. It was very good. I took an afternoon nap today and when I woke up, my fingers felt swollen, like I'd been hiking. (Steroids make you retain fluids, and I'm going through lots of fluids these days). So for now my fingers remind me of sausages, and my wrists are a little achy, too. But, no nausea, and with my two naps, I had energy enough to do haircuts with my friend Kristi. I'll try to put up pictures tomorrow. Just a warning: I look really cute with really short hair.

Also: today I managed to sneeze and to cough without very much pain. I might leave my girdle at home tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Margaret,
    So glad to hear it's going well so far! And the milkshakes... yum. Love those things. May as well enjoy as many as you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret!!! My mom called me tonight, so sad that it takes something like this to strike up communication again. I often look for you on facebook (I havent found you, so I assume you arent on there). I think your blog is very engaging and even though I am so far away and that we havent talked in a few years, I felt that I could see you and your mom talking to the lady and sharing ginger snaps! How mind boggling or TWISTED, to take this all in so fast. However, I can think of no one better than my second Mom to take care of you (in addition to all the doctors, of course).

    Enjoy your milkshakes (UDF?!?) and keep posting. You are in my thoughts and prayers. My email is liz.mcdff@gmail.com

    LYLAS, (remember THAT?!?!?)
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete