Friday, August 28, 2009

The Hours In Between

Today I took my sister, who has been staying with me for the past week, to the airport. I will miss her, but she is coming back in a few weeks. Now, I really don't want to give the wrong impression here, so let me say this first and say it loudly: I am tremendously grateful for family and friends so committed to being here in Tucson with me and for them to be able to do so. That time I woke up in the middle of the night almost fainting makes me somewhat afraid to spend the night on my own, and who wouldn't want someone to cook and clean and most importantly just be with while I have all manner of crap going on in my body and the corresponding thoughts running through my head?! I also consider myself amazingly fortunate to have family with whom I love hanging out, a lot, for a very long time. None of this post is about being tired of being around the people who have been here.
But, today after I dropped my sister off at the airport, I had about three hours before a friend who was driving in from Kansas arrived. Three hours in which I was alone and no one else knew or was thinking about where I was. For a free-spirited twenty-something like myself, this is a normal state, and it's not normal for me anymore. I guess this is just one of those Social Side Effects of Cancer.

"So, Margaret," you ask, "what did you do with your hours alone?"
And I'm not going to tell you!

I'm feeling pretty good today, maybe a little tired. I have this dream of going contra dancing tomorrow night. I'll let you know if that goes. And my mom comes back tomorrow!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your family is able to come and visit also! Soo... did you dance the night away?
    Oh, Sarah Thompson (former Elkhart MVSer) says she's thinking of you! We asked our congregation here in Elkhart to pray for healing in your body and afterward she came up to us and said "That's not the contra dancing Margaret, is it?? That girl danced the night away!" I had forgotten you were the caller at retreat! Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems fair to enjoy space-people and not people, both in good measure.

    Rachel is going to enjoy your help on the GRE-but she's totally going to rock it.

    you are loved,
    svs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret you amaze me. Dancing is the best thing for the soul.

    ReplyDelete