Friday, November 6, 2009

Damn.

I think today qualifies as really bad.  Even without cancer, it wouldn't have been a good day - I woke up with my face feeling puffy and uncomfortable and some dimwit in a pickup ran into me while I was on my bike -  but cancer definitely pushed it over the edge to really bad.

I got the call from my doctor this evening.  He explained that my number had gone up.  Yeah, that's right, it went up and it was supposed to go down. 

Let's review.  The numbers we're talking about are my Alpha Fetaprotein (AFP) count.  It's a tumor marker, a protein produced by the kind of cancerous cells that developed in my body.  Before surgery it was 6,620.  It's been going steadily downward since then, roughly in an exponential decay pattern.  Three weeks ago it was 14.6.  The goal was 8.4 or below.  In the blood draw from yesterday it was 22.  Damn cancer. 

Not only is Grazelda not gone yet, she's growing (or there's a lab error).  So what's left has probably developed a resistance to the hardcore chemo drugs I've been on.  Not only would that mean more chemo, it would mean different chemo.  I mean, this regimen sucked, but at least I'm used to it.  I know what my body does when, and I'm always up and around again after a few bad days.  New drugs would mean new side effects . . .  but all that is speculation. 

First we (and by we, I mean Dr. Hallum) have to figure out what's going on, so I'll have some imaging done next week, have my blood test re-done, and go in to talk with him on Wednesday. 

I don't know which is worse - getting diagnosed with cancer, or getting told the treatment didn't quite work.  Getting diagnosed was pretty crummy and I was very afraid of chemo, but at least it meant an explanation and an end to my immediate suffering of having an ovary the size of a football tucked in my abdomen.  Right now I feel great (well, minus the kleenex and water I'm toting around tonight), and have been thinking about and anticipating moving on with my life after today, and I now know how much chemo sucks (which is a lot).  There is no silver lining (or even just a bit of silver lint laying around).  It's just bad news. 

Well, I think it's time for a little whiskey. 

9 comments:

  1. Margaret, what can I say except that I'm sooo sorry and I want to cry for you ... Damn cancer is right! I'm glad you're so honest. All your feelings are understandable, although there's no way those of us who've never gone through what you're going through can know how you're feeling.

    I hope this is a lab fluke but realize there's a reasonable chance it may not be.

    I love your orange wrap, but I'm sure that doesn't help much right now.

    What else can I say but give you love & hugs & kisses through cyber space. Life does suck, doesn't it? I'd be glad to come see you now if I had a few extra bucks for travel (but I don't). So I will hold you up & pray for you, my younger sister.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret,

    You probably don't remember that you have met me. My name is Ben Harder, I'm Susan Schmeichel's boyfriend, and we met in Tucson when the BC concert choir sang at your church. My dad fought colon cancer for 6 months before he passed away a couple of years ago, and we had many days like yours. When we got bad news I would always go sit outside and read psalm 46: "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change, though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea; though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble with its tumult" though your earth has changed the lord is still with you. Praying for you and thinking of you today. Ben

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn is right. We could probably even add shit.

    I will be praying and thinking of you.

    I love you, dear Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret,

    Damn is right. My thoughts are with you. Good vibes are being sent your way as you read this.

    Abundant love and peace,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure wish I was there with you! Or at least could send you some of this apple pie we baked today!

    love,
    Your Sister

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just something to make you smile... :)

    What will this day be like? I wonder.
    What will my future be? I wonder.
    It could be so exciting to be out in the world, to be free
    My heart should be wildly rejoicing
    Oh, what's the matter with me?

    I've always longed for adventure
    To do the things I've never dared
    And here I'm facing adventure
    Then why am I so scared

    A captain with seven children
    What's so fearsome about that?

    Oh, I must stop these doubts, all these worries
    If I don't I just know I'll turn back
    I must dream of the things I am seeking
    I am seeking the courage I lack

    The courage to serve them with reliance
    Face my mistakes without defiance
    Show them I'm worthy
    And while I show them
    I'll show me

    So, let them bring on all their problems
    I'll do better than my best
    I have confidence they'll put me to the test
    But I'll make them see I have confidence in me

    Somehow I will impress them
    I will be firm but kind
    And all those children (Heaven bless them!)
    They will look up to me

    And mind me with each step I am more certain
    Everything will turn out fine
    I have confidence the world can all be mine
    They'll have to agree I have confidence in me

    I have confidence in sunshine
    I have confidence in rain
    I have confidence that spring will come again
    Besides which you see I have confidence in me

    Strength doesn't lie in numbers
    Strength doesn't lie in wealth
    Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers
    When you wake up -- Wake Up!

    It tells me all I trust I lead my heart to
    All I trust becomes my own
    I have confidence in confidence alone
    (Oh help!)

    I have confidence in confidence alone
    Besides which you see I have confidence in me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ditto damn. sending you lots of love and good wishes this week...

    heidi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damn. Grazelda is messing with the wrong woman. She'll be the one cursing pretty soon. Keep fighting.
    Thinking of you lots AND missing the Dia de los Muertes fun we once had...
    -christa and scott

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn,damn, damn, stupid damn. The bitch has got to go.

    ReplyDelete