Monday, November 2, 2009

PT/INR

I had another blood test this morning.  Not the blood test (that's Friday), just one to make sure I'm healthy enough (i.e. recovered from the last dose) to get chemo on Wednesday, and also, as always, they took a (vile) vial to measure the thickness of my blood.  This is called the PT/INR and stands for Prothrombin Time / InterNational Ratio, and I get it checked about twice a week.  As always, I got a call from my nurse Shirley in the afternoon telling me that my PT/INR was low, once again, and that I should basically double my blood thinner for the next few days.

It was only a matter of time spent getting poked twice a week in order to get a phone call telling me that important number before a graph came out of this one, too. 

PT/INR vs. time



And here is my deep thought of the day: If I met someone who hadn't met me before, they wouldn't know what color my hair is.


Upon further (deep) thought, I realized they'd have some good clues in my eyebrows.  No one would think I was blond.  But they still wouldn't know what color my hair is.


Upon even further (even deeper) thought, I suppose that I'm not entirely certain what color my hair will be when it returns from its chemovacation.


hm.



2 comments:

  1. A thought on your hair:

    I don't know why this came to mind today, and you've probably heard this story before, but for some reason it seems...........appropriate?

    I Kings 2:23-25
    "Elisha went up from there to Bethel, and while he was going up on the way, some small boys came out of the city and jeered at him, saying, 'Go away, baldhead! Go away, baldhead!' When he turned around and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two she-bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys. From there he went to Mount Carmel, and then returned to Samaria."

    May the power of the LORD be with you whenever you might need to use it!


    Love ya! Still thinking about you and praying for you.
    -alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for random charts and graphs!

    I think it would also be nice to see a graph on Friday with your AFP numbers- showing how Grazelda has decreased over time, with a highlighted line on the y axis at 8, showing the point of Grazelda's offical death.

    Here is to an (almost) chemo free November!

    Love, Rachel

    ReplyDelete